Participants are expected to develop prototypes for a digital platform that will provide users with the opportunity to engage in unique dialogues, imagine a vision for the Arab world in innovative ways and identify solutions to the most pressing issues in the region.
Each team will develop, throughout the event, its own inspiring version of the platform, in the form of a demonstrable, compelling prototype displaying its main functionalities and interactions.
Our Team of Mentors will help you along the way.
A panel of judges will select the best prototype, and award the winning team with cash prizes and other rewards. A separate representative judge/committee from HAAA will evaluate the project's alignment with the organization's goal from the Hackathon, to determine eligibility for the HAAA Special Award.
- A cash prize will be awarded to the first place winning team of the Hackathon. If the First place project is approved by HAAA representative(s), the project would be eligible to win a 5000$ contract to be awarded by HAAA conditional upon the full development of the platform. The award will be vested given an agreement with HAAA, on a case by case basis.
- Win a two-night trip and participate in the civic lab organized as part of the Harvard Arab Alumni (HAAA) Arab World Conference at the Kempinski Ishtar hotel at the Dead Sea Jordan
- Showcase the winning prototype as part of the Civic Lab and be part of the launch of the platform
- Network and connect with alumni from the Arab World
- Discover the lowest point on earth
- Attend the Gala dinner
Special Category Prize:
Three UNDP internships in Amman, Cairo and New York are offered to the participants of the Hack a Vision Hackathon. Participants interested in the positions will need to submit their applications and pass the screening process.
Disclosure: UNDP reserves the right to decline applicants if their profiles do not match requirements of the positions.
UNDP Innovation Facility is tasked with informing UNDP’s policy and programming services with innovative processes to create greater development impact. The Innovation team, at headquarters and the regional hubs, is constantly scanning and locating innovation where it happens around the world, identifying and promoting support to innovators, and rapidly prototyping and then selecting innovative approaches and services which are viable to go to scale. Under the supervision of the Innovation team in HQ and the Amman Regional Hub, respectively, two interns will support the team by
- conducting research on emerging trends in innovation for development, with a particular focus on digital engagement
- supporting the design of select initiatives
- drafting advocacy and outreach materials
- engaging in creative brainstorming sessions and meetings with change makers in the field of innovation.
Three Ashoka internships in Cairo are offered to the participants of the Hackathon. Ashoka is the global association of the world’s leading social entrepreneurs—men and women with system changing solutions for the world’s most urgent social problems. Social entrepreneurs are individuals with innovative solutions to society’s most pressing social problems. From its regional office in Cairo, Ashoka Arab World creates a competitive, entrepreneurial, and globally integrated citizen sector and develops the profession of social entrepreneurship. Ashoka currently works with 80 Ashoka Fellows located in Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Morocco, Tunisia, Libya, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.